Selecting a name for your blog or website is an important aspect, most of the people don’t understand the value of it and select some random name which has nothing to do with the content of your website.
You would have already heard that most of the bloggers out there suggest you to select a domain name which has exact keyword that describes about your blog, but the problem is availability of such domain names are next to impossible.
So, let me explain you my way of finding a perfect domain name for your business. Remember that every individual has his own way of finding a domain name, so use this guide as a reference for finding a name for your blog.
For example, if I am planning to launch a blog that has something to talk about “How to earn online”. First and foremost thing I do is write down all possible single word names that are close to what my website or blog is all about.
So let me write down few words that might be relevant
NOTE: For Keyword Ideas use Google Keyword Planner.
None of the above mentioned single word domains would be available, luckily if they are, then they would be available at a huge price tag. So, once after you have names try to create a two or three word combinations at the max.
- Online Earning
- Earn online
- Online income
- Online income source
- Earn money online
Now that you have different two and three word combinations, the next thing you need to do is search for the availability, the first thing everyone does is by searching it on the domain registrar which is a big NO-NO.
- Though personally I have never faced such problem but I have seen people complaining that names were blocked by the registrar once after they perform the initial search.
- Sometimes domain registrar’s display the domain to be available, after the payment they send you a mail stating sorry for the inconvenience caused the domain which you are looking for is not available, I have faced this problem several times, though you will get your money back but to avoid such problems always use the tools which I mention below.
Domain Name Availability
I have been using this wonderful tool for past few years and I should say it has saved hell lot of time while performing research for my domain name.
1. Go to Domain Search, then enter a keyword which you would like to search for.
Here it displays different available domain names for the keyword we are searching for and also different alternative names that we can select from, use the + sign for finding different gTLDs and ccTLDs, but first understand the color coding assigned by the website.
Once after you get familiar with the tool you can also perform Advanced Search by adding different filters like Domain Length, Word Exclusion etc.
Though I am satisfied with the tool, sometimes the domain which is available according to the Domain tool might not be available in reality. So, in order to make sure whether the domain name is available or not try perform the search on Whois directory. It is basically a central repository for all the domain names which are taken and who took it.
Some people ask me having numbers in your domain name is it good or bad?
Numbers are good if your target audience are from China because Chinese people give lot of importance to domain’s that have numbers in it. For more information on Importance of numbers please read this article by Domain Holdings.
Other Important Things to remember while selecting a Domain Name
- Never select a Domain Name that has Trademark in it. Check for trademark on Trademarkia or Trademark247.
- Never Over Optimize your Domain Name with lot of Keywords (For Example “WordPress-Seo-Marketing-blog”) which doesn’t look good and people will think such websites are scam.
- Select your Domain Name as short as possible.
- It’s okay if your Domain Name doesn’t have a keyword in it because the value of any domain increases if the content which you are creating have value in it.
- Always Select a .COM domain.
- Make sure your Domain Name is always singular.
- Some people prefer to use Personal Name as their Domain Name it’s a good way of building relation with your audience but remember any kind of reputation that builds on your domain name will impact your personally and professionally.
- Select a Niche.
- Write down the Keywords that are relevant to your blog or website. Search for synonyms and make different combinations.
- Use Google Keyword Planner Tool.
- Use Domain Tool and Whois directory.
- Finally select your Domain Name.
Hope this guide has helped you in selecting a perfect Domain Name for your blog or website. If you have any concerns or suggestions please feel free to share them via Comments section below. If this article has helped you or if it can help someone in your circle feel free to share with them.